GarageBand is a captivating music application that enables you to play, develop and share music on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Mac. It is a collection of touch instruments and a full-featured recording studio. There are endless loop tunes and audio unit instruments that literally allows you to develop your own hit songs with a virtual team on GarageBand. In our earlier posts we have already discussed how to use free Garageband loops, today we will discuss in detail about the new Garageband audio units and free au plugins for GarageBand. You can use it on your Mac as well as on Garageband for PC.
What Are Audio Unit Plugins?
Audio Unit plug-ins in GarageBand are specialized in adding new sounds and effects to your project. Audio units are either downloaded on our computer or can be made available from other sources. Interested users can find Audio units for free and buy them online from third party vendors. There are many free garage band plugins for audio and Garageband vocal plugins.
There are two types of Audio units:
- Instrument plugins: These include Piano, synthesizers, keyboards, organs and other instruments.
- Effect plugins: These incorporate common audio effects, for example, compressors, reverb, delays and many other audio effects. You can add them on your individual tracks for providing it a professional touch.
With the release of GarageBand 10, people have a misconception regarding Audio unit being discarded from the application, whereas, the units have just been given a different place to settle in the application.
Today’s tutorial will provide you an internal knowledge of how to activate and find free plugins for your GarageBand application. You may find free audio plugins for mac and free au plugins for Garageband but not all are useful so we have to check
Also Read: Garageband For PC
Setup And Installation Of Audio Units: GarageBand 10
- First thing first, open up an empty project in GarageBand.
- Go to the GarageBand preferences and make sure that the audio units are “on”.For that, click on the Audio unit tab and click on the empty box.
- If you tick mark the audio units, it will show you a disable dialogue box. Now the app will ask you whether you want to disable it. And the other users will get to know that the Audio units are disabled by default.
- Now quit GarageBand with command Q and click on don’t save.
- Now open a folder and in the sidebar look out for hard disk and download options. If they are not there, go to your finder > preferences > and inside it click on “Sidebar”. This will allow your sidebar to show all the hidden options as well.
- Download samples of Audio unit either free or bought from a developer. From the sidebar of the same folder, click on the download option.
- The file with the audio or AU sign should be downloaded and saved to the Macintosh HD folder. It’s a super easy process.
- Now if you don’t really know where exactly the audio plugin saved, just click on the Macintosh HD folder > Library > Audio > Plugins and > your components folder. All the audio or AU files are saved here.
- Go back to your GarageBand application again, open up an empty project > smart controls from the top left of the screen > a small letter “i”.
- Now you can see two options under it, one is “Instruments” and the other is the “audio effects”.
- In the instruments option, you’ll go to AU > navigate to the developer’s name > the plugin and > click on either mono or stereo, depending on the plugin type.
- Check if it’s working and then close the plugin.
- Now click on the audio effect > Audio units> find the developer’s name > and navigate for the plugin that you need.
- And you’re done downloading new plugins and applying them in your music.
There is no need to learn every possible music instrument just for fun, GarageBand, without any technical knowledge allows you to create new tunes and songs just like a professional champ. Then it’s your wish to share your work with friends or just save it for future reference. You can also search for free Garageband instrument and au plugins for Garageband but before using check if they are useful for you.