Wouldn’t it be great if you could share your iTunes library with Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod, PC and Mac using your wireless local network? Thankfully, with iTunes Home Sharing feature, this has become absolutely possible. All you need to do is to turn this feature on and set it up on the devices to which you wish to share the media. Just follow steps and know how to turn on home sharing in iTunes and how to use home sharing.
Let us tell you how you can have all the media on your computer playing on the other devices in this guide. Keep reading!
What you need
Following are the prerequisites to use Home Sharing on your local network and to turning on home sharing in iTunes:
- A Mac or PC with the latest iTunes version installed
- Device with compatible iOS installed (4.3 and later)
- All the devices must be on the same wireless home network. You may need the internet connection in certain cases.
Here is the list of devices on which you can enable and set up iTunes Home Sharing:
- Mac or PC
- iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch)
- Apple TV
Also Read:- How To Backup iPhone To iCloud or iTunes
Home Sharing on Mac or PC
Using Home Sharing on Mac or PC is incredibly easy. Here is how you can do that:
- Launch iTunes on your computer
- Sign in with the Apple ID (if not already). Remember that you will need to use the same Apple ID on all the devices and computers in the network in order to use Home Sharing feature
- On the iTunes window, at the top, click File from the menu bar
- Choose Home Sharing and then click ‘Turn on Home Sharing’
This is all you need to do to setup and use iTunes on the Mac or PC. You will be able to stream all types of media content from one device to another as long as they are on the same network and signed in with the same Apple ID. You will also need to make sure that the computer is active (not in the sleep mode) and iTunes is launched. You can go to Music on the top-left of iTunes to see the list of the shared libraries.
Also Read:- How to Authorize a Computer on iTunes?
Home Sharing on iOS
Here are the simple steps you need to follow to use iTunes Home Sharing on an iOS device (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch):
- Go to Settings app and tap Music (alternatively you can also tap ‘Videos’)
- Scroll down a bit to the option named ‘Home Sharing’
- Most likely you would already be signed in with your Apple ID. If not, you will see the option ‘Sign in’. Tap it and enter your Apple login credentials to log in. Also, remember that you will need to use the same Apple ID on all the devices to make them the part of the home sharing network
iTunes Home Sharing is now set up on your iOS device.
Using Shared Videos
If you wish to enjoy the shared videos, follow these steps:
- Launch the Videos app
- Tap on Shared
- Pick the Library of your choice
Using Shared Music
You can enjoy the shared music as well:
- Launch the Music app
- Tap on Library (in case you are using iPad you will need to tap on Library one more time)
- If you see ‘Home Sharing,’ tap it. In case this option is not available tap on ‘Edit’ and choose ‘Home Sharing.’ Tap on ‘Done’ and then choose ‘Home Sharing’ again
- Pick the Library you wish to share
Also Read:- How to Jailbreak iOS 10.2 and Install Cydia
Home Sharing on Apple TV
Home Sharing on Apple could be great fun. Here is how you do it:
- If you have a 4th generation Apple TV then go to Settings, choose Accounts and then tap on Home Sharing. If you have an older Apple TV mode then simply go to Settings and Computers
- Choose ‘Turn on Home Sharing’
- If you are not already signed in, use your Apple ID and password to login. Make sure it is the same ID used on the other devices on the same local network.
Once the Home Sharing has been set up, you can use it on your Apple TV:
- If you wish to explore the shared libraries, simply access the main menu and choose Computers. You will see the list of all the libraries to pick from
- If you wish to view the photos saved on your computer on the Apple TV, you can follow these steps:
- Launch iTunes on the computer
- Go to the File menu
- Select Home Sharing
- Select ‘Photos to Share with Apple TV.’