If you keep sensitive or personal information on your computer, you will want to make sure that no one intrudes into it. While you can password protect your Mac or PC, you may want additional security. Thankfully, there is a way to use a USB drive as a key for your computer. We will see how a USB drive can be converted into a login key.
Creating the USB Lock for Mac and PC
In order to use your USB drive to lock or unlock your Mac or PC, you will need to install a third party app on your computer. We have tested and used a few applications and found Rohos Logon Key more appropriate for this job. Follow given steps to know how to unlock your computer using Rohos login key.
Rohos Key Login is an app that can convert your mobile phone or a USB flash drive into the access key for your Mac and PC. This app is paid but fortunately, there is a trial version available that you can use for a specific period of time. After using it for a while you will be able to determine whether you must buy it or not. Rohos is a USB unlocker in a simple way.
The trial version remains active for 15 days. If you wish to continue, you can buy the paid version for $25 per computer. While there are some free versions available, we did not find any of it very convincing.
In the following text, we are laying down the process to create the USB key for your Mac computer. The steps are pretty much the same for Windows computer with only some insignificant differences. With Rohos its possible to unlock computer with USB.
Also read:- 360 Total Security- A Complete Guide
You can download and install the Rohos Key Login trial version from the following links:
- Mac Computer: http://www.rohos.com/rohos_logon.zip
- Windows PC: http://www.rohos.com/welcome-screen/rohos_welcome.exe
Here are the steps to create a USB key access for your Mac computer:
- Download and install the Rohos Key Logon trial version from the above link. Once the installation is complete allow your Mac to restart
- Click on the icon for Rohos Key Logon on the Mac menu bar
- On the drop-down menu click ‘Open Rohos Logon’
- Connect the USB drive you wish to use as the key
- Click on the button that reads ‘USB drive’ (as we are creating a USB key)
- On the next screen, you will need to enter your Mac login username and password
- Now choose the USB drive that you wish to use as the login key in the ‘Please choose USB Key device:’ section
- Click OK
Now, on the next window, you can choose the action you want your Mac computer to take when the USB key is pulled out from the USB port after the login. If you do not require the USB key to remain plugged in once you have unlocked your Mac, you can select ‘Nothing’ in the ‘USB key removal action:’ section.
We would recommend you to choose ‘Lock the Desktop’ in this section. This will make your computer more secure. Also, it will ensure that your computer is locked when you are not using it.
This is pretty much all you need to do to lock/unlock your Mac or PC with the USB drive. However, there is catch! If someone knows the password they will be able to log in to your computer even when the USB key is not plugged in. Thankfully, you can give your computer more protection by following these steps:
- Click Rohos Key Logon from the menu bar and choose ‘Preferences’
- Select the General tab
- Here you can check the ‘Allow login only by USB key’ checkbox
This will make sure that only the one who has the USB key is able to login to your computer.
However, there is one more problem. What if you lose the USB key or it becomes corrupted? In that case, you will need to use the emergency login feature of the app but it is a long drawn process and isn’t guaranteed to work.
So, what is the solution? One way is to keep the password login active. The other option is to create more than one USB keys for login. So, even if one is rendered useless, you can still use the others to unlock the computer.
How To Disable The USB Key
If you don’t need the USB key to unlock your computer, you can delete the key from the Rohos application. Here are the simple steps:
- Click on the Rohos app icon on the menu bar and click ‘Open Rohos Logon’
- Click the button ‘Delete Key…’
- Choose the USB key you wish to delete and click the ‘Delete Key…’ button again on the next screen
This will remove the USB key and you can login to your computer with the password again.
It is a good idea to use Rohos Logon Key as it gives more security to your computer. The two-factor authentication uses the PIN code and USB key for added security. The passwords saved on the USB drive are highly encrypted and cannot be duplicated. Rohos is the best tool to USB computer lock and to secure your computer from data thief.