Last updated June 27th, 2017
Just Got a New Phone? No Need to Start Over
Have you ever bought a new phone and were forced to forget about all your old contacts, messages, files and apps? It can be a huge inconvenience to start manually updating your details from ages ago. The entire process is not only time consuming but expensive. Some apps are not free, and downloading all your essential apps will definitely cost you again.
To assist you with ease of transition, this article will give a step by step account of how to transfer or copy not only apps but other important files to your new phone.
Check It Out: – Top 10 Chrome Extensions And Apps For Reddit
1. Apple Devices
Most people feel confident that when it comes to iPhone, iCloud and iTunes will provide a complete backup of apps, games, data, and user settings. Unfortunately, the conditions for that to happen are far from ideal because:
- Not all the game developers offer you the option to sync the game progress and other game related data with iCloud
- Only a limited number of games can be backed up on iCloud as there is only 5GB storage
This is why it is advisable to use data transfer and manager app called AnyTrans for iPhones.
This utility app is for iPods and other iOS devices as well. Furthermore, it also allows transfer of apps to iTunes, computers and can also uninstall more than one app at a time.
- Connect both iPhones to the computer, install and open AnyTans. The menu bar will give you Preferences; Select settings to allow App transfer
- Upon selecting your preferred action on your Apps select your old phone; select the ‘Apps’ button to access and manage your apps
- Choose all the apps you intend to move; use the “To Device” which is on the right corner of the screen. This will transfer your apps.
While there are other methods available, this one is no doubt the simplest and fastest method to transfer apps and data across iPhone devices. The best thing about it is it also transfers other files such as messages, music, documents and more.
Note: If your device is running iOS 8.2 or earlier version, it is possible to move only the app and its app data across 2 devices. However, when using iOS 8.3 or later, the only available option is to transfer all the data. Therefore, you will have to first download the app on the new device.
Also Read: – Best 10 Workout Apps For Android And iOS Devices
2. Windows Devices
For Windows phones, there are certain conditions that have to be met before you can move apps from one phone to another – one of them is back up.
If you have Windows mobile device before, you must be aware that phone backup prompts and warnings are quite regular. You can transfer the apps to the new device only if you have taken the backup. If you haven’t backed up since installing a new app, then there is a good chance you may have to download it again.
Also, you should note that backing up and creating a new account will restore your messages, files and calendars. The newly acquired apps will continue running on their default settings. Therefore, you have to configure to your preferences.
- Turn on the new device and select “Get started” and your preferred language
- Accept the terms and conditions and choose Custom settings; this way you can customize them as you like. You can also use Recommended Settings if you see fit
- Set your time zone, connect to a secure Wi-Fi or internet network and sign into your Microsoft account.
- Next comes a list of all your past backup data from your devices; select the one you wish to connect with
- As the apps are restored, the screen displays the progress of each and you may even want to sync your new phone with other accounts such as Facebook or email.
- You can continue using the phone while the transfer process takes place.
- If you want to keep track of progress just go to the “Store-Downloads”
- If you do not wish to have a particular app just cancel the download
- There is a possibility that some apps may not transfer and you get an error message. This is not a malfunction. It simply means that it is not compatible with your new phone but the Store may have an updated version of that app.
The most important lesson all Windows users live by is to never forget Microsoft Account details. This way if the old phone gets lost or damaged, at least the contacts and message history are saved.
3. Samsung (Android)
For avid Samsung users, the good news is that the process to transfer the data is actually way easier. Probably the easiest and quickest
- Make sure that you have Samsung Smart Switch Mobile application on both Galaxy phones
- Ensure that both devices are no farther than 50cm apart. launch the Smart Switch app on each then select “Connect” to link both devices.
- This will present a list from which you can select the data you want to move and just click on “Transfer”
- Be sure to pay attention to the prompts about accepting incoming files; finally, select “Ok”
Also Check:- 10 Best Apps Like Flipagram Worth Give A Try!
4. Samsung to iPhone
Making a switch from Samsung, Android to iPhone? You don’t necessarily have to lose all your data.
- Simply download “Move to IOS Application” on your Galaxy Device
- Select your device and the iPhone will enable safe and quick transfer of your data by creating a private Wi-Fi network;
- Enter the code provided and enjoy your new phone without worry.
And you’re done! Easy, Right?
There are of course other methods to transfer apps that involve the use Bluetooth. Also, you can save your old apps on an SD card and attempt to load them in the new phone.
These methods can only work on select mobile devices but will not for most. This is because developers are always working to improve security and safety of the devices and an SD card is an untrusted source!