Even if you own a PS3, you would still want to play some of the Windows exclusive games. Playing the game with keyboard and mouse could be pretty tiring, especially if you are used to PS3 controller. Buying an expensive controller to play one or two games may not make much sense here. What if you could get the PS3 controller or PlayStation controller working on Windows 10? Wouldn’t that be awesome?
Yes, there is a way to do that but it requires more effort than just plugging the controller to the computer. The method is not as straightforward as you might have liked, nevertheless, it is easy and we will make sure you get it right through this guide. Here is the step by step process to get your favorite PS3 controller working on Windows 10. Now anyone can get to know how to use ps3 controller on PC.
- Getting PS3 Working on Windows 10
- Calibrating PS3 Controller
- Use Bluetooth Instead of USB
Getting PS3 Working on Windows 10
The very first thing you need to do is get a third-party driver that will enable the PS3 controller on PC operations on Windows 10. While there are many on the web, not all of them can be trusted. However, we have tested and used the driver called Motionjoy over several computers with Windows 10 OS and it seemed to work without any hassles.
You can download and install the Motionjoy driver from the following link: http://motioninjoy.en.uptodown.com/
Before installing and using the driver, make sure you change the date on your computer back to a date from 2014. This is because the license of this driver expired in 2014 and thus it wouldn’t work with the current date. But, do not worry as it is still safe to use driver and will pass all the security tests of your antivirus (if you have any).
Getting Motionjoy alone wouldn’t get the PS3 controller working on your Windows 10 PC. This is because this controller is not officially compatible with any iteration of Microsoft Windows and hence we will need to tweak some settings a bit. What you need to do is disable the ‘driver signature enforcement’ in order to get the PS3 joystick working with Windows 10. Here is what you need to do:
- Click on the Start Menu and go to Settings
- Click on Update and Recovery
- On the left pane click on ‘Recovery’
- Select ‘Advanced Startup’ in the section Recovery
- Now your computer will reboot to the advanced start-up options
- Here you need to select Troubleshoot
- Now you need to click ‘Advanced options’
- Select ‘Startup’
- Wait for the computer to reboot again; this time it will reboot to the Startup options list, which you can change
- Find ‘driver signature enforcement’ and disable it
- Now press the key F7 on your keyboard and reboot the computer
The computer will now restart in the normal mode. The next thing you need to do is connect the PlayStation3 controller to your computer via USB cable. On the system tray at the bottom, a balloon notification will appear stating that Windows is installing the driver for the controller. Once the installation is complete, you will be able to see your PS3 controller in the ‘Game Controller’ section.
Also Read :- Can PS4 Play PS3 Games- PS4 Backwards Compatibility
However, you will still not be able to use it. This is because Motionjoy driver is yet to be configured. This is what you need to do:
- Make sure that PS3 controller is still connected to the computer
- Now launch the Motionjoy driver tool (it’s desktop shortcut icon is named DS3_tool)
- Once the DS3_tool has launched click on the ‘Load Driver’ button (on the left; it is easy to find)
- You will now get a ‘Windows Security’ warning saying that the publisher is not verify; ignore the warning and click ‘Install this driver software anyway’
- After a few seconds, you should see the message ‘SUCCESS – Install Completed’
This means that your PS3 controller is all ready to be used with the Windows 10 OS. You can return to the DS3_tool window again and click on the profile button. You will be able to see your controller in the dropdown under ‘Connected game controller (s)’.
Calibrating PS3 Controller
Now that you have got the controller working, you will want to make sure that the button movements are optimized for games you will play on Windows 10. That’s easy! Follow these simple steps:
- Click Start Menu
- Select Devices & Printers
- Right click on the icon ‘HID-compliant game controller’
- Click ‘Game controller setting’
- Select ‘Motion Joy Virtual Game Controller’ and click ‘Properties’ button
- Select the ‘Test’ tab on the next Window
- Here you can calibrate your PS3 controller easily
Also Read :- Stream/Cast Your Android Screen To A Windows 10 PC
Use Bluetooth Instead of USB
If you wish to use your controller via Bluetooth instead of USB, you can do that quite easily. But, make sure that your computer has Bluetooth. This is what you need to do:
- Unplug the USB cable from the PC as well as the controller
- Go to the DS3_tool window and click ‘BluetoothPair’ button on the top
- Click on the button labeled ‘Pair Now’
Make sure that your controller is turned on. For that, you can press the PlayStation button on the controller. You will see the red lights blinking on the top side of the controller as it will look for the available device to connect with via Bluetooth.
That’s it! Your PlayStation 3 controller is ready to be used. Enjoy!
Also check this post :- How to Sync your Android Phone to Windows 10
PS3 is and advanced gaming consoles and its DualShock PS3 controller is one of the best you can get. Officially it is not supported on Microsoft Windows, but there is a workaround to make it work. We will need to use a third party driver called MotionJoy.